Depression is fast becoming commonplace in our society. According to research done by ISD (2003) and SCROL (2001), approximately 250,000 Scots are clinically diagnosed with depression. In fact, depression will become the 2nd most life effecting condition by 2020. It will only be surpassed by Heart Disease. If you think you may have depression you may find reading the information provided by See Me Scotland here useful. They also provide information on where to seek the help you need.
Here at The Spark we know it can be difficult to not only experience the symptoms of depression, but to see someone you love suffer with it. I recently came across an article by The Darling Bakers which is a useful guide to showing that you understand what your loved one is going through, and how to help them as much as you can.
The simplicity of some of the tips is surprising but can be remarkably effective for someone who is having a bad day. My particular favourite is number 6. Hug them. That’s it. Hug them. Simple as that.
Now, I know what you’re all really here for so let’s get on with playlist for Song of the Week.
- Gossling – Riptide (Vance Joy cover)
- George Baker – Little Green Bag
- The Proclaimers – Cap in Hand
- Sonny Rhodes – Ballad of Serenity
- Newton Faulkner – Dream Catch Me
- The Proclaimers – Sunshine on Leith
- Coasts – Oceans
- Anne Murray – You Needed Me
- Wax Audio – Stayin’ in Black (The Bee Gees + AC/DC mashup)
- Tom Petty – Learning to Fly
- Dexters – Cloudfest
- David Bowie – Space Oddity
- Joe Walsh – Rocky Mountain Way
- Soft Cell – Tainted Love
Let us know what you think of our choices over on Twitter.