Really enjoyable and thought provoking! Will recommend widely to our partners!
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People (SMHFA – YP)
CPD: 14 hours (includes pre- & post-course self-learning)
The Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People (SMHFA-YP) course is designed for adults who support young people between the ages of 11-17, to teach you to better understand mental health and how it affects young people.
The course will provide delegates with a clear understanding and practical application of the Scottish Mental Health First Aid skills, giving participants’ confidence in approaching a young person in distress.
Please use the links below to find out more about Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People:
- Course description
- Who is the course aimed at?
- Course framework
- Dates and venues
- Course fee
- Feedback from past participants
- Book a place
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People – dates and venues
Venue: Tesco Community Space, Harlaw Road, Inverurie.
- 12 February 2019 – 9.15am – 4.30pm
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People – booking and prices
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People – 1-day programme: £75 per person. Course fees are VAT exempt.
To make a booking enquiry complete the enquiry form below or telephone 0141 222 2166.
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People – course description
Mental Health First Aid is an initial response to distress and all participants on the course understand that this help is to support young people in crisis, and when appropriate, signpost them on to other suitable professional help.
The course does not train people to be mental health workers. It offers basic general information about mental health problems. The knowledge presented and understanding developed in the course helps to remove stigma and fear and to give confidence in approaching a young person in distress.
The course is presented by a qualified SMHFA-YP instructor and quality is continuously monitored by NHS Health Scotland.
The course aims to:
- show how Mental Health First Aid can be applied in a crisis situation with young people
- reduce stigma around mental health issues for young people
- enable participants to provide initial support to young people in crisis
- recognise and promote understanding of common mental health problems, including depression and anxiety, eating disorders, self-harm, suicide and substance misuse.
Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People – enquiry form
To book a place on the next Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People course, please complete the form below.
The Scottish Mental Health First Aid for Young People training will cover the following aspects of dealing with mental health issues amongst 11-17-year-olds:
- guidance on being a Mental Health First Aider
- mental health problems that affect young people
- the recovery message
- the impact of alcohol and drugs on a young person’s mental health
- introduction to suicide intervention
- listening skills
- understanding cyber-bullying
- understanding depression
- how to offer first aid to someone experiencing depression
- understanding anxiety
- understanding psychosis
- how to offer first aid to someone experiencing a psychotic episode
- understanding eating disorders
Who is the course aimed at?
The course is designed specifically to train for adults operating in frontline services who support young people between the ages of 11-17.
To book a place on the next course or to enquire about courses in your area, please complete the enquiry form above or telephone 0141 222 2166.
Course feedback and participating organisations
“ I thoroughly enjoyed the course and it has proved invaluable already. I’m not exaggerating when I say that it was one of the best courses I have ever been on. Your own presentation, the online materials, videos, assessments, books, they were all so clear, concise and user-friendly.” – Ann Lowson, Aberdeen City Council
“I got a huge amount out of the course and now feel much better equipped.” – Alison Johansen, Teacher, Mearns Academy
The following organisations have benefitted from bespoke Scottish Mental Health First Aid (Young People) training courses from The Spark: